FEBS

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Інститут біохімії ім. ПаладинаPalladin Institute of Biochemistry of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (NASU)


The Institute was founded by People’s Commissariat of Education of the Ukrainian SSR in October 1925, in the city of Kharkiv as the Ukrainian Biochemical Institute. In December 1931 the Institute was included in the Academy of Sciences of Ukr. SSR and moved to Kyiv. It was the first Institute of Biochemistry in the USSR and one of the first research institutes in Ukraine.

The Institute founder, academician Olexander Volodymyrovych Palladin, was its permanent director till February 1969. Then, the Institute was headed by: V.O.Belitser (1969-1972), M.F.Guly (1972-1977), V.K.Lishko (1977-1988), S.V.Komisarenko (1989-1992), G.V.Donchenko (1993-1998). In 1998 academician Serhiy V. Komisarenko again became the head of the Institute. S.V.Komisarenko simultaneously is the Academician-secretary of the Division of Biochemistry, Physiology and Molecular Biology of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. The Institute consists of the Scientific Departments: Metabolic Regulation, Molecular Immunology, Coenzyme Biochemistry, Neurochemistry, Lipid Biochemistry, Structure and Function of Protein, Muscle Biochemistry, Chemistry and Biochemistry of Enzymes, Molecular Biology, Scientific and Technical information, and Research Laboratories: Medical Chemistry, Optical Methods of Research, Biopreparation Technology, Protein Technologies, Cell Signal Mechanisms. The Institute has also the auxiliary departments: Electron Microscopy Group, Chromatography Group, Radiology Group and the Laboratory Animal Center.

Scientific research is conducted now in the following main trends:
• Study of the structure, physicochemical properties and biological functions of complex proteins and supramolecular systems;
• Study of molecular organization of metabolic processes and mechanisms of their regulation by biologically active substances;
• Development of biotechnologies and nanobiotechnologies for medicine, agriculture, ecology and industry.

A Council of Young Scientists is very active. Each year Meeting of Young Scientists carries out in the Institute, gathering together young researchers from various scientific institutions of Ukraine.

‘The Ukrainian Biochemical Journal’ is the first biochemical periodical issue (1926) in all former USSR. The journal was founded by O.V.Palladin. There is one more periodical ‘Biotekhnologia Acta’.

The Institute is the base of the Ukrainian Biochemical Society, the equal member of the Federation of European Biochemical Societies (FEBS) and International Unit in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (IUBMB).

Scientific researches are financed by the Government from the budget of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, as well as from special budget domestic and foreign grants.
The Institute continues to develop, extending its material and technical basis, and remains the generally acknowledged leader in its field of biological science.

For more information, visit  http://www.biochemistry.org.ua/index.php/en

You are here: Home Destination Palladin Institute of Biochemistry of NAS of Ukraine